Well, it has happened. Winter Storm Jonas has come and gone, leaving over a foot of snow in my location. I know other people can measure their snow in feet, and also, along the coasts, are dealing with storm surges and beach erosion, which translates into flooded streets, like this New Jersey town (shot from yesterday).
So, since I am dealing with smaller amounts of problems, I have decided to count my blessings. While it might seem glib to say “count your blessings,” I think I need to remind myself of the good things I have, while praying and calling for action to give those blessings to those who do not have them. I’ll start from the beginning:
1) A safe, warm place to hunker down in – I live in a small apartment in Nicholasville, Kentucky. There are homeless wandering the streets of my town right now who have no place to go. It is currently 24 degrees Fahrenheit, AKA -3 Celsius. As I have said before, there is more than a foot of snow on the ground, and only those with backhoes or shovels can remove it. Please, pray for the homeless, especially the ones in your town.
2) Food to eat – There are children who only eat at school when the church does not give them food to eat. I have also seen a lunch program in my neighborhood over the summer, indicating possible hunger there. Please make sure our most vulnerable can find enough to eat.
3) Warm clothes – Yes, I have seen the “People of Walmart” pictures…but what if that is all they have? It’s a possibility.
4) A car to dig out – Some people have to walk in the snow. My mother and I had to do it for three years.
5) Electricity – Thousands are without this in the blizzard zones, and power linemen were unable to restore electricity to them due to the strength of the storm. There are at least 25 deaths attributed to this storm, and it’s most likely electricity.
6) A pet and mother that love me – Many people are alone in this world. I need to consider this blessing more. I have other family that loves me, too.
So, is it really so stupid and pathetic to consider what is good in your life when things seem to be going bad, especially when you consider that others do not have these blessings, and want to take action to give out these blessings?